Why are two crazy ladies riding across the United States?

Seven years ago while I was huffing and puffing to keep up with Ruth's running pace, she asked me if I would run across the USA with her.



You are crazy!" I gasped. "but I will cycle across the states with you."



We started planning the trip that day. We ordered the transcontinental maps from Adventure Cycling Association. Then Ruth's husband got a job in Evian, France, and we put our plans on hold.



Throughout the last seven years, we continued to discuss our trip. Then this last Fall, Bill and Ruth returned to Cincinnati. We looked at our maps again,checked into various cycling groups that are crossing the states this year, and kept pedaling on the back roads of southwestern Ohio.



As we learned the prices and the dates of the organized trips, we realized those trips would not work for us. We finally decided that a spring trip would work, and we decided on the Southern Tier Route. The maps route us through southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and then to our final designation - St. Augustine, Florida.

Throughout the trip we will stay in motels and bed&breakfasts and travel as lightly as possible. We plan to average eighty miles per day, take three rest days, and reach our destination on May 1st.



Our husbands are traveling with us the first two weeks. They will carry our gear for us and will be playing golf or attending spring training baseball games while we are cycling. Hurray for our very supportive husbands!



We will try to update the blog every day. Some nights we may be so tired that the only words we will be able to type are: "We made it!" We may be in a motel without a computer or cell coverage.



We will miss our family and friends along the trip. As St. Patrick's Day is approaching we think of this Irish Blessing:



May the road rise to meet you,



May the wind be always at your back,



May the sun shine warm upon your face,



The rains fall soft upon your fields and



Until we meet again,



May God hold you in the palm of his hand.



To All: Please Take Care! Love, Mary Jo and Ruth



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 25, LaGrange to Navasota, Texas 71 miles


Guess where we ate last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast? We are waiting for the sponsorship.
We began in a mist and cycled to Round Top, an antique mecca of southern Texas -shops named Clutter and Excess.
We had gentle rolling hills and were rewarded over and over with beautiful vistas of wild flowers. We did not see a long horn steer in bluebonnets but for Catherine we were able to photograph some angus standing in the wildflowers.
Today many pink primroses intertwined with the Indian paintbrushes and bluebonnets.
We cycled passed cattle ranches and some more oil wells.
Upon arriving in Independence we found a small grocery store and were able to eat on the patio. The owner has a book for cyclists to sign in and indicate whether they are riding east or west. For today we were the only cyclists that had signed-in. We found out from another customer that the goats devour Starbursts and Ruth happened to have some with her.
Independence is a small village of historic buildings. Sam Houston lived in Indpendence along with other wealthy plantation owners. Texas was an independent country from 1836 to 1846. However, Sam Houston, the first president of the Republic of Texas, advocated the annexation of Texas to United States and it became a state in 1846. (Elaine, we hope we have our facts correct.) When the railroad avoided Independence, the village declined.
From Independence, we cycled on lovely back roads lined with live oak trees into Navasota.
Tonight we are staying at a new Comfort Inn and are enjoying the comforts of the inn - hot tub and pool, laundry facilities, and new beds.

"Don't buy upgrades; ride up the grades." - Eddy Merckx


Answers to the sweepstakes!
1. Mary Jo drank the glass of white wine.
Ruth had the margarita and Evelyn had the cosmopolitan.
2. Evelyn rode 764 miles - more than one fourth of our whole trip. She did all of her cycling in Texas.
3. Lance Armstrong named his bike shop "Mellow Johnny" because when the Tour de France lead cyclist wearing the yellow jersey approaches, the French yell "maillot jaune"(yellow jersey in French.) To American fans it sounds like "mellow Johnny." Lance had all seven of his yellow jerseys on display in his shop.
The declared winner is Maxanna. She may collect Evelyn's bike in Maryland and Ruth and Mary Jo will deliver the two luna bars and one water bottle; and we hope she forgets about the pump because we still need it. Bon voyage! and take your vitamins!

10 comments:

  1. Maxanna, Please note that bike is for use in Hill Country and I will have it cleaned and lubed! I will even throw in a Cosmo!! (I hope the sweepstake personnel informed you that air fare and hotels were not included!)Congratulations! (Oh, and the bike has not arrived back from Mellow Johnny's yet...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let Max reply with her own explanation. I was more worried that I would get second or third place. Looks like only two and a half more days till you are out of Texas. It is one wide state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so, so excited. This is the first time I've won a prize since I won a Bobbie Brooks Sweater set during my freshman year in college. It's been a long, long, long dry spell. But I'm on a roll now. Think I might be ready for the daytime game circuit now that I'm retired.
    Thanks Evelyn for the offer of the bike, but I'm going to just wait on my water bottle and the luna bars. They sound perfect with a night of bridge!
    Max
    PS I do think I've given Texas a bum rap they didn't deserve. It actually sounds pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, don't worry about the pump. I don't "do" flats... So I'll just let my "Don" worry about that:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, you are right. Texas became a state on Feb. 19, 1846. I became a member of "Texas First Families" after doing a ton of research in genealogy to prove we had family either living or serving in the Republic of Texas before it became a State in 1846. I researched it back to seven generations that had lived in Texas in my mom and dad's family. Keep those wheels turning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are going to be very tired of Subway when this trip is done!

    That is so cool how Lance named his shop. I wouldn't have guessed that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Navasota! Come back soon.

    Bert Miller
    Mayor

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have SO enjoyed keeping up with your blog (THE PHOTOS ARE AWESOME!), but wouldn't you know the one time I lag behind I miss out on the big sweepstakes!! Rats! And I could really use a road bike....however I have NO clue how to change flat tires, so maybe it is just as well that Maxanna got the bike. And how cool is that, that the MAYOR of Navasota commented on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I demand a recount.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the postcard from East Texas I shared it with the Blue Ash YMCA group cycling class this morning. I have enjoyed the Kenny Chesney CD and not so much the ABBA.

    I trust that you are taking the time to learn song artists during your long hours on the road. May all of your winds be tail. Bob

    ReplyDelete